Continuing the discussion from Episode 8, Benjamin Nolot and Laila Mickelwait go deeper into explaining how prostitution is experienced as sexual abuse. In doing so, they discuss the way in which dissociation is necessary for the person being prostituted and the implications that holds for understanding the nature of prostitution.
- For more information on dissociation in prostitution see “Dissociation Among Women in Prostitution”, Colin A. Ross MD, Melissa Farley PhD, and Harvey L. Schwartz PhD, Journal Of Trauma Practice Vol. 2 , Iss. 3-4,2004
- In the film Nefarious: Merchant of Souls Dr. Melissa Farley explains the phenomenon of dissociation in prostitution.
Resources discussed in this episode:
- “Prostitution, Violence, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder” by Melissa Farley PhD and Howard Barkan DrPH
- Paid For: My Journey Through Prostitution book by Rachel Moran
- Nefarious: Merchant of Souls documentary
- Exodus Cry